Saturday, July 11, 2015

Varying degrees of success. Rant on excuses

I set a new pr for my 10 mile today, 61:30. About what I suspected. More importantly, I wasn't leveled. I've been doing yard work nonstop for 6 hrs since. This is a good sign. I also felt comfortable until mile 7, which also was a good sign. Anyway, pretty pleased, I feel better at that distance as far as game plan/pacing. Hopefully I can go sub 60 by Oct.

On that note I hate people who make excuses about their age/lack of fitness. I have not ran competitively for 10 years. I didn't finish my senior year in track. My mom is in her 50s and learned how to do a handstand walk and can deadlift over 200 lbs. Point is this. Fitness is earned. If I wanted to be out of shape, I could be. Genetics probably affect less than 1% of the populace when it comes to being a decent athlete. Decisions and daily discipline are what make you good at athletics. Genetics can simple make you the best, or make progress slightly more difficult. I hate when people say, oh well you just have a running body. I weigh 40 lbs less than I did 3 yrs ago. I don't have a running body, I just made my body efficient at running. I started running twice a day and doing other activities. I gave up drinking and I don't have cable. I was a scrawny whelp when I was growing up, I didn't play conventional sports. All I'm saying is I earned what I have, and it's cost many injuries and many times kicking my own ass while others were off drinking or fooling around. You can earn your fitness too and you can teach yourself discipline. You aren't born disciplined and you aren't born an athlete. Stop fooling yourself and get after it. You can achieve almost anything you desire with enough drive and discipline. Its my goal to prove that. Rant complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment